Fatfield and Elba
Sun 8th Nov 10am 14 miles
Start at Riverside Car Park, Chester le Street DH3 3QT
Cricket ground side of Ropery Lane, opposite Bannatynes near to subway to park
What3words words jumpy.high.jazz
Join us for a circuit exploring the hinterland of the River Wear downstream from CLS. Using old railway lines, crossing ‘new’ reclaimed green spaces, breezing some bridleways and some minor roads we’ll enjoy a varied terrain and cross the Wear at Fatfield Bridge. Our journey will take us through North Lodge, Biddick, Elba Park, Fencehouses, Morton Acres and Great Lumley.
The ride is suitable for those who are used to riding at least 10 miles and most suitable for hybrid bikes although mountain bikes and robust road bikes will also do the job. There are a few lumpy bits to tackle along the way but nothing major. We will only be stopping to regroup and the occasional photo. An outdoor cuppa might be possible in the park when we return.
As always we can’t predict the weather so please dress suitably. You will need gloves and a buff/snood to keep your neck warm. Plenty of layers are recommended for these winter months.
In order for the ride to leave promptly, please be punctual so we can carry out bike checks, etc. prior to us setting off. Please make sure your bike is in working condition and bring a spare tube to fit your tyres. Expect to be out for about 2-3 hours so bring some snacks. If coming by car, have a look here to choose a car park. https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/3485/Chester-le-Street-car-parks
. The Riverside charges on a Sunday but there is free parking along Cone Terrace and at the leisure centre and in other parts of town.
For any queries please contact [email protected]
. For any last minute cancellations on the day please text 07708327943 (note this phone is only for the day of the ride) otherwise use the option to cancel when you log in to letsride.co.uk. If the weather is bad we will only contact you if we are cancelling the ride and will do so no later than 8am on the day by putting a message in the ‘conversation’ tab in the ride. You should receive a notification by email if there is a message. If you have not heard from us we are still riding.
In view of COVID-19 we will be taking this into account with our ride leading and we will follow govt. guidelines. Please note the following:
• Maximum ride number to be 6 (including leaders). This may change as govt guidance dictates.
• We will not share any equipment so please be organised and bring your own items eg drink, spare inner tube, tyre levers and pump, sun cream and hand sanitiser.
• You should pay particular attention to your bike being in good working order before attending a ride so as to minimise risks and disruption to rides.
• We will ride taking social distancing into account. At the time of writing British Cycling recommend riding 1m+ apart.
• Participants must not attend a ride if they have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with anyone with symptoms
• Anyone who develops COVID-19 symptoms during a ride must inform a leader.
• Anyone who develops COVID symptoms after a ride must contact the leader who will inform British Cycling HQ who will then contact everyone who attended the ride.
You can contact the leader directly via the ‘Message Ride Creator’ tab in the ride posting on let’s ride unless you have their direct contact details already.
Look forward to seeing you.
Audrey and Janet