The Peltons and Chester le Street
Sun 2nd August 10am 7 miles
Start at Chester le St Market Place Front St end DH3 3BQ
We’re thrilled to be returning to leading Breeze rides and to welcoming new riders who have recently taken up cycling during lockdown. We want to support women to gain confidence and cycling skills while having lots of Breeze fun. Over the first few weeks of our return to cycling (starting 4th July) we will mainly be organising short rides so that newer cyclists can have a taster of Breeze, while giving us a chance to familiarise ourselves, as leaders, to the new Breeze normal. Please read the following notes about the ride, including the COVID-19 notes at the bottom.
Join us for a short Sunday jaunt starting from the centre of Chester le Street and taking a tour of the Peltons. Starting from the Market Place we’ll head north up the A167 which benefits from a cycle lane along most of our stretch. Just before Birtley we will pick up the Sustrans railway path (NCN 7)
and head west as far as Pelton. Here we’ll join quiet roads to make up our circuit back to CLS. Overall it’s fairly flat apart from the pull out of CLS right at the start, but means we have a downhill finish.
About 4 miles will be on road and 3 miles on the railway path. Surfaces are good quality so any bike will do the job it but a hybrid is probably the best compromise.
In order for the ride to leave promptly, please be punctual so we can carry out bike checks, etc. prior to us setting off. Please make sure your bike is in working condition and bring a spare tube to fit your tyres. Expect to be out for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
As always we can’t predict the weather so please dress suitably. You are better to be overdressed as you can always take layers off.
For any queries please contact [email protected]
. For any last minute cancellations on the day please text 07493808927 (note this phone is only for the day of the ride) otherwise use the option to cancel when you log in to letsride.co.uk. If the weather is bad we will only contact you if we are cancelling the ride and will do so no later than 9am on the day by putting a message in the ‘conversation’ tab in the ride. You should receive a notification by email if there is a message. If you have not heard from us we are still riding.
In view of COVID-19 we will be taking this into account with our ride leading and we will follow govt. guidelines. Please note the following:
• Maximum ride number to be 6 (including leaders). This may change as govt guidance dictates.
• We will not share any equipment so please be organised and bring your own items eg drink, spare inner tube, tyre levers and pump, sun cream and hand sanitiser.
• You should pay particular attention to your bike being in good working order before attending a ride so as to minimise risks and disruption to rides.
• We will ride taking social distancing into account. At the time of writing British Cycling recommend riding 2m apart.
• Participants must not attend a ride if they have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with anyone with symptoms
• Anyone who develops COVID-19 symptoms during a ride must inform a leader.
• Anyone who develops COVID symptoms after a ride must contact the leader who will inform British Cycling HQ who will then contact everyone who attended the ride.
You can contact the leader directly via the ‘Message Ride Creator’ tab in the ride posting on let’s ride unless you have their direct contact details already.
Audrey and Kay